Dissolution of Civil Union or Same-Sex Marriage

gay divorce bridesI receive a lot of calls and e-mails from gay and lesbian folks who entered into a civil union or same-sex marriage in Connecticut but do NOT live in this state  — and now wish to dissolve it.   To dissolve a civil union or marriage in Connecticut, one of the parties MUST live in this state.  The residency requirement in Connecticut is one year.   I always caution my clients that until there is recognition of same-sex relationships in all 50 states,  they run the risk of not being able to dissolve their legal relationship if they choose to move to a state that does not give legal recognition to civil unions or same-sex marriages.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s