Establishing Residency in Connecticut for Co-Parent or Step-Parent Adoption

If you want your spouse or partner to adopt your biological child as a step-parent (if you are legally married) or co-parent (if you have not entered into marriage or civil union), you must be a resident of the State of Connecticut in order for this State’s Probate Courts to have jurisdiction over the adoption. I have received calls from numerous same-sex couples who mistakenly believe that because they arranged to give birth to their child in Connecticut but do NOT reside here, they are able to ask Connecticut to grant their adoption petition.

To establish residency in Connecticut, you must live in this state. It is not enough to obtain a post office box — you must actually have a physical street address. As further proof that you have become a Connecticut resident, you should obtain a driver’s license (or State I.D. if you do not drive), register your motor vehicles here, pay state and local taxes in Connecticut, and register to vote here (be aware that you cannot be a resident of two states for voting purposes).

Some couples move to Connecticut prior to the birth of their child. For those couples who choose to relocate here after their child is born, you should select a pediatrician in Connecticut. If the child is already of school age, register him or her in the appropriate school system right away.

Remember, you MUST be a resident of Connecticut in order to petition our State’s courts to grant your step-parent or co-parent adoption.


6 comments on “Establishing Residency in Connecticut for Co-Parent or Step-Parent Adoption

  1. Marge says:

    After my partner got pregnant, we heard that if we got married in CT, I could have my name on our baby’s birth certificate. So we made the trip from SC to get married in CT. It wasn’t until a few months after our son was born that we found out that my name on the birth certificate didn’t matter unless I could adopt him. We are trying to save the money to relocate our family to CT. Unfortunately, the job market isn’t the best. I guess it will take us a few years to be able to make it happen. I think it’s sad.

    • Irene C. Olszewski, Esq. says:

      Unfortunately, your story is all too common. I receive numerous calls and e-mails every week asking about the same issues you described. There is a lot of misinformation out there … and people often receive only part of the answer to their questions. I endeavor to educate gay and lesbian couples on these issues so that there is no confusion. I do hope you and your family are able to move to CT one day soon. Best of luck. Thanks for reading.

  2. Christi says:

    -How long must you be a resident?
    -If both names are on the birth certificate how long does adoption take?
    -Do both spouses have to be “residents” to do a second parent adoption?
    -Can the birth mother have a residence in CT and the second parent only have an ID but still work in another state?
    -Does having both names on the birth certificate matter at all legally? (other than personal satisfaction of both parents being listed)

    I cannot find much information on this topic and have no idea who to call.. ANY information you could give would be GREATLY appreciated!

    • Irene C. Olszewski, Esq. says:

      I don’t give specific individual legal advice on this blog, as my disclaimer states. If you are a Connecticut resident and wish to schedule a consultation to discuss specific legal needs, you are invited to call my office to set up a consultation. Thanks for understanding.

  3. Christi says:

    I’m sorry.. I didn’t realize asking questions as to what the law states would be legal advice.. I have found some things as to what the law states as far as marriage goes published online but can’t seem to find much, if anything, on the law pertaining to children born within the marriage.. stumbled across the post I commented on through an internet search so I just thought I’d ask.. sorry to bother you as I am out of state. Thanks anyway..

    • Irene C. Olszewski, Esq. says:

      There’s no need to apologize. The blog is meant to discuss legal topics in a more general way. Individual legal issues generally require more detailed analysis rather than a “generic” answer that would apply to everyone’s case. That is why I do not answer individual legal questions via the blog as a matter of ethics and policy. As this blog is read world-wide, I cannot speak to the laws of other states (or countries) as I am licensed to practice in the State of Connecticut only. There is also the issue of confidentiality. For those reasons, I always ask that people contact me privately so that I am able to properly assess their individual circumstances and provide legal advice that is appropriate. You may come across information on the internet that is not exactly accurate, so it is always wise to contact an attorney directly to be positive you understand your rights and the proper procedures. Thanks for reading and I hope you’ll become a regular.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s