According to the Washington Blade, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton announced that the United States would prepare a “blueprint” to confront the global AIDS epidemic and realize her previously stated vision of an “AIDS-free generation.”
Clinton described five new funding goals aimed at populations that are particularly affected by HIV/AIDS overseas. Some $157 million is proposed to be used as follows:
• an additional $80 million to support approaches that ensure HIV-positive pregnant women receive treatment to protect themselves and prevent them from spreading the disease to their children and partners;
• an additional $40 million to support South Africa’s plans to provide voluntary medical male circumcisions for almost half a million boys and men in the next year;
• $15 million for implementation research to identify the specific interventions that are most effective for reaching key populations;
• $20 million to launch a challenge fund to support country-led plans to expand services for key populations; and
• a $2 million investment in the Robert Carr Civil Society Networks Fund to bolster the efforts of civil society groups in addressing key populations.
Stay connected with our Social Media Pages:
Connecticut Lesbian and Gay Law blog on Facebook for all blog posts from this blog as well as additional stories and links of interest to the LGBT community.
Attorney O’s Midnight Musings Blog on Facebook for all blog posts from that blog as well as other legal news.
Be sure to LIKE our pages and become a follower!
Disclaimer: The information, comments and links posted on the blog do not constitute legal advice. I will not respond to any specific legal questions in the comments section of this blog. Read my entire disclaimer.
copyright 2012 Irene C. Olszewski, Esq.